Being a lover of lists and self-improvement, and therefore a huge fan of resolutions, over the past couple weeks, I’ve been trying to come up with a few rules/guidelines to follow when it comes to cosmetics and the purchasing and collection of them. While I think I am almost conservative by most bloggers’ standards, in the real world I spend much more on cosmetics than I should, and I want to hold myself accountable and perhaps find a way to both satisfy my love of all things beauty, but keep my budget (and stash) in check. As such, I’ve come up with some resolutions I hope to keep in the New Year that will allow me to achieve all of these things (more likely to be added):
- Extend sunscreen and treatment applications to back of neck, décolleté, and hands (places we too frequently forget)
– Do not exfoliate skin with scrubs; use only chemical exfoliants like glycolic acid (reduces chance of irritating skin)
– Apply jojoba oil to body every night (gotta get rid of the eczema scarring somehow)
– Buy a new fragrance (I haven’t picked one up since early last year, which was only a rollerball, so it’s desperately time!)
– Throw out all old makeup (past five years old)
– Give away/swap any makeup that I haven’t used in 3 months (excluding seasonal shades) *process of elimination previously determined*
– Try to procure a beauty item through swapping first before buying outright
– Purchase no more than 5 nail polish a month (or $50/month) *May be carried over into the following month if quota/dollar value was not reached*
– Avoid making repetitive purchases (similar shades eg); regarding palettes, I must have less than half the shades (similar) in order to justify a purchase
– When making a purchase, assess frequency of use vs. cost (i.e. the less frequent the use, the lower the cost should be *certain exceptions apply*)
– BUT, don’t restrict myself so much that I turn around and go overboard to compensate
- Clean my makeup brushes every week
– Drink green tea (hello, age-fighting antioxidants!)
– Drink 2L + of water daily
– Sleep on a satin pillowcase (decreases damage to hair and skin)
– Massage scalp weekly (helps keep dryness at bay)
– Floss daily (…yea, guilty! I might do it once every few days :S)
– Soak feet weekly in Epsom salts and lavender oil (walking 7+ kilometers a day to and from work takes its toll!)
- Treat myself every 3 months to something FABULOUS!
I think all of these goals are reasonable and aren’t restrictive/overly ambitious – just the way I like them :) Small targets that are achievable so that I’ll be more likely to attempt larger goals moving forward. Some of these I’ve been meaning to do most of 2011, but being a touch lazy and a procrastinator for all things that aren’t immediately imperative, they keep falling by the wayside. I want to focus on looking after my body – after all, it does a heck of a lot for me – and also try to alleviate my purchasing anxiety which I’ve spoken about several times. No more of that, thankyouverymuch! I’m so eager to get started, I’m not going to wait until January 1st to begin – I’m going to start right now!
Do you have any beauty resolutions you want to start in the New Year? I’d love to hear them – I’m sure there are some great ideas I’m missing out on!