Ok, so I know that the Santa Claus reference is in poor taste – too soon, too soon, my apologies – but seriously, this is what I’ve been doing for the past week, ever since I
sold my soul joined forces with a handful of other beauty bloggers to keep our purchasing to a reasonable level for the next little while. I have been writing and re-writing lists upon lists of beauty items I want to buy in the coming months, trying to make sure that it fits within my guidelines, which also means that they have to be 100% worth it (because I’m not wasting my limited purchasing allowances on just anything!). I think I keep writing them down everywhere to give myself hope when I’m seriously jonesing to indulge in a beauty buy. Either that, or I’m major OCD. I have my suspicions.
~Anyway~ …here are the items I’ve been giving the serious eyeball that in the next few months WILL be mine (Oh man – this list is NOT short…Ooops!):
1) Shades from OPI’s Holland collection and/or Essie’s Navigate Her collection – after an enlightening comparison review by Eugenia of Ommorphia Beauty Bar, I now have to choose between the eye-catching orange polishes OPI A Roll in the Hague / Essie Orange, It’s Obvious!, and the fabulous bright coral red’s OPI Red Lights Ahead…Where? / Essie Ole Caliente. Both comparisons are dead ringers so I suppose it’s whichever I stumble across first that determines which will get to come home with me!
2) Bare Escentuals Flawless Definition Volumizing Mascara $23CAD – the two mascaras I have in rotation will be turfed so fast once I get my hands on this. They’re not impressing me as of late and I’m desperately looking forward to a new option. I’ve read good things about Bare Escentuals formulations – gentle on eyes, which I super-need – and I’m really hoping that it’s got the oomph to it that it claims, because I getting tired of putting up with the ‘natural’ look!
3) Too Faced California in a Compact in Beach Bunny $36CAD – I thought I gave up on bronzers last year when I picked up NARS’ Laguna Illuminator, but with the promise of our upcoming sand and sun all-inclusive vacation, I’m envisioning myself with a gorgeous bronzed glow and I want to achieve it fast. The Illuminator is lovely but a tad bit fussy, and…really I just feel like I need a true bronzer like everyone else, dammit!
4) Bare Escentuals Purely Nourishing Moisturizer – Normal to Dry Skin $35CAD – The fluctuation in temperature here in Halifax is ridiculous, and it’s hard to keep my skin in check, particularly through the wickedly cold and windy treks to and from work. I need a heavier night cream to replenish the lost moisture from these days, and I’m hoping the shea butters in this will do the trick!
5) Urban Decay 24/7 Waterproof Liquid Liner in Sabbath $22CAD – I’ve decided not to buy any more pencil liners for a long while, because on my eyes, liquid liners just look the best. I don’t need any liquid liners at the moment, but I just really want a dark blue one. ‘Nuff said.
6) Philosophy Help Me Treatment $59CAD – I got about a week’s worth of this treatment from a Sephora rep to try, as I have been wanting to incorporate retinol into my regime, but am nervous due to my skin’s sensitivity. Since the retinol content in this product is fairly low, I thought it would be a good place to start. I used it all over my face and neck, even on my two patches of eczema on my forehead, and it didn’t cause any irritation at all!! This is a feat even with non-treatment products, so I’m quite pleased. On top of that, I woke up every day while I was trying it out with silky smooth skin. I’m ALL over this.
7) Guerlain Rouge G lipstick $47US – I’m not sure how much these are in Canadian dollars because I’m too scared to look. I really want to own just one of these because Christine at Temptalia raves about them, and last weekend I finally tried on one at Shoppers and it felt just beautiful. I’m not a huge lipstick wearer, but these seem like more my speed as they can be on the sheer side with a shiny finish. I’m not sure if I can really cough up this much dough for a lippie, but you just never know!
8) Bobbi Brown High Shimmer Lip Gloss $23US – Also not sure how much these are in Canadian dollars as I haven’t checked my local counter, and it’s Canada Restricted when I go on the Sephora website (so ridiculous, btw). I’ve read so many good things about these glosses and I’m desperate to try, but I MUST get rid of a few from my current stash first. Make way!
9) Too Faced Perfect Eyes Waterproof Eyeliner in Peacock $24CAD – Another vision that I have for myself while in Jamaica is wearing a fabulous deep teal liner with my gorgeous new bronzed glow. The swatches of this online look ridic, and I must get my hands on this. I like that it is a pencil that melts into a liquid – although in writing that I just realized that I completely contradicted the statement above about not buying any more pencil liners. Oh well, for this I’ll make an exception.
10) Murad Pomegranate Exfoliating Mask $23CAD – I currently do not own any skincare item that exfoliates my skin; after over-exfoliating for years and now dealing with the oversensitivity aftereffects, I’m only now just slowly introducing products back into my arsenal that will keep my cell turnover regular. From the description online it sounds like this will give my skin a glow but will be gentle to use – it only contains 6 applications, so the good news is that if I hate it, I won’t have a huge amount left to deal with after the fact.
I realize that every product I mentioned aside from the polishes, require me to use one/two other items in my stash (as per my guidelines) before I can make a purchase. For skincare, that’s too easy, as I’m almost out of several products and I’m buying the above as replacements; for the mascara, I’ll actually be tossing two so I can buy the one. As for the five other makeup items I noted…that means I have to use up 10 other products in order to buy these. Funny how when it comes down to the wire, you’ll get as ruthless as needed in order to get what you want. I am fully prepared to begin tossing or giving away any items that I don’t love in order to buy things that I know I will. I’ve gone through my stash and I can think of 13 items that I could part with and not be sad about – so I’ll get ‘er done, don’t you worry about that!
So tell me: What’s on your beauty wishlist these days?