New! Best Bang for Your Buck Series

I really, really love making lists.  It’s sort of a thing.  On top of that, I love beauty (obviously), I like to spend my money wisely, and I thoroughly enjoy helping other people.  So, when I started thinking about all of these things together, I came up with the idea that allows me to kill several birds (not literally, of course) with one stone.

Welcome to the ‘Bang for Your Buck’ series!  Each week for the next few months, I’m going to tackle certain types of beauty products, and list the offerings from popular department store brands and their sizes vs. costs.  At a glance, you’ll be able to see which items are most cost effective in that category, and get a better idea if your money is being well spent, or if you’re being, well – a little ripped off!  Also, if you’re hedging on picking up a certain product because of the cost, this will give you an idea of the true value of the product and if it’s worth your hard earned cash.

Many of the sizes and (Canadian) dollar values of products are taken from online websites; please let me know if anything is listed incorrectly and I’ll be sure to fix it!  Also, for products which we don’t have here in Atlantic Canada, or for items that are more difficult to find overall, I’ll note in green where they’re located for your reference – though I tried to mostly include products relatively accesible as a whole.

Week One: Powder Blushes

As it seems that blush is the product du jour lately, I’m going to start there – powder blush, that is (cream blushers will be covered in a separate post, as there are just so many to choose from!).  I was surprized at how many blushes that had higher price tags, actually had a fair amount of product as well, which is nice.  I was also shocked at how many blushes come with a small amount of product considering the price.  Take a look for yourself – here are 25 popular picks and their size and price breakdowns:

The Verdict
Best Value:
theBalm ($80/oz)

Worst Value:
Yves Saint Laurent ($392.86/oz)

Most Product (oz):

Dior – 0.26oz for $42 **great value for a luxury brand!**
Guerlain – 0.32oz for approx. $53
Burberry – 0.24oz for approx. $44
Givenchy –  0.24oz for $47
Giorgio Armani – 0.21oz for approx. $46
Chanel – 0.21oz for $48

I hope this is helpful!  I personally can vouch for the awesomeness that is theBalm and Illamasqua blushes :)  Please let me know if there is anything in particular you’d like to see!  Be sure to keep an eye out for next week’s post!

About these ads

, , ,

1. #1 by aliciab on February 25, 2012 - 10:19 am

Great idea! Thanks

• #2 by Latoya on February 26, 2012 - 10:14 pm

You’re very welcome, Alicia!! Glad you enjoyed :)

2. #3 by Larie on February 25, 2012 - 2:26 pm

Whoa, this is pretty awesome! I think that I will probably never finish a blush, though, so it’s difficult for me to think about product size.

• #4 by Latoya on February 26, 2012 - 10:13 pm

Thanks a ton, Larie! I agree though, sometimes when I read product sizes it doesn’t steer me away from buying something because I might even want a smaller size – so I have a hope in hell of finishing it! But I can’t help but keep this info in the back of my mind sometimes…more as a reminder to myself as to what I’m really spending my money on ~scary!~

3. #5 by Liz on February 25, 2012 - 3:17 pm

DAMN. I’m wincing at some on this list, dancing a jig of joy at owning some theBalm… what a tremendous effort!

I’ve seen lists like in the past and turned a blind eye to it, but this time I ran through almost every item. I don’t think the price per size will really deter me from purchasing if I really wanted something for the pretty package/design/whatever, but it’s definitely worth stopping to think about. Now this has me wondering about the price of my blush stash and it’s making my head spin. @_@

• #6 by Latoya on February 26, 2012 - 9:56 pm

I’m humbled that you took the time to read the list Liz; I’m glad that it piqued your interest! My goal in doing these posts wasn’t necessarily to deter anyone from buying anything – even if they seem to be a poor investment of money – because goodness knows that when we want something, we’re going to have it! But there are times that I wonder if just plain, standard products are really worth my money, and whether it would be better to invest in something else that appears to be equal but a better value. And, I just find these kinds of things interesting bits of knowledge and also a great way to waste time LOL – I’m notorious for spending time doing that! :P

4. #7 by Jane on February 26, 2012 - 2:41 am

This is extremely interesting and informative! LOVE this post!! I just discovered your blog but I’m liking it!! :D

• #8 by Latoya on February 26, 2012 - 9:38 pm

Yay! Welcome Jane, and thank you!! I am so glad you liked it, I found doing this research helped me a fair bit and wanted to share – I thought perhaps others would get use out of it too, so I’m happy to hear I was right :)

5. #9 by Eugenia on February 27, 2012 - 12:52 am

Holy Spreadsheets, Batman! Can I state for the record that your (obsessive? crazy? detailed?) list-making habit is actually a fabulous idea?! Seriously, I’m wayyyy too lazy to break things down like this, and now, you’ve got me re-thinking some of my favourite brands…damn! I hate it when that happens! Lol! Awesome, awesome work, my friend and I may just have to print this up and carry around a pocket version to refer to!

• #10 by Latoya on February 29, 2012 - 10:42 pm

Hehehe…Sorry Eugenia, I know this is one of those things people have a hate/love feeling about – it’s useful but no one REALLY wants to know where their money is going, right? Haha. But, thanks for being kind and being appreciative nonetheless :) Take it with a grain of salt at the end of the day – we’re gonna buy what we want in the end, no matter how good a value it is!!

6. #11 by makeupmorsels on February 27, 2012 - 3:08 am

huzzah! Way to break it down, I too love lists, although I prefer to look at them rather than make them. Much less work :P Can’t wait to see the rest of the lists!

• #12 by Latoya on February 29, 2012 - 10:43 pm

Well, you’re in luck because I LOVE doing this kind of stuff – so I’ll do the work, and you can look at them all you please :) Keep your eyes peeled MM!

7. #13 by Tracey M. on February 27, 2012 - 4:39 am

love, love, love this new series. i have always been curious about price to product ratios, but have never actually got around to working it out thank you!

• #14 by Latoya on February 29, 2012 - 10:44 pm

Oh, you’re VERY welcome Tracey, I really dig doing things like this so I’m really glad that you’re getting use out of it! I’ll be doing this for a while so be sure to keep a look out for the next installments!

8. #15 by Maggie (@MaggiesMakeup) on February 27, 2012 - 5:55 pm

That is INCREDIBLY helpful. And makes my inner Virgo flail with delight.

I admit I don’t tend to purchase based on value alone, but it helps to know that some of my splurges are actually not that spendy, when they’re broken down by weight like that.

Ahh…anything to rationalize the addiction. :P

• #16 by Latoya on February 29, 2012 - 10:50 pm

Too true! I’m so pleased that you liked it Maggie! My inner Gemini is giving your inner Virgo a high five right now :P I also don’t purchase based on value very often, truth be told – if I want something I’m going to buy it, end of story. But this gives me a bit of pause, and for basic products, if I’m torn between two items, knowing one is a better value than another will help me make my decisions! Until I end up buying the other one too down the road LOL!!

9. #17 by wtmontana on March 3, 2012 - 5:46 am

Love this! Fantastic idea and I am so excited to see where this goes! :-D

• #18 by Latoya on March 4, 2012 - 11:28 pm

Thanks Dustyn!! I’m really glad you like it, that kind of feedback makes it really worthwhile!!

...And what do you have to say about all this?? Dish! :)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,651 other followers