So my most excellent boyfriend has been planning a secret trip for the two of us for the past two months, to which I was aware but not privy to our destination. Earlier this week I was finally told where we were headed so that I’d have a little time to plan what I’d like to do…..in NEW YORK CITY!!!!!!!!! ~jumps up and down excitedly~ We leave this Tuesday!! I am SO EXCITED, GUYS. I’ve never been, and I cannot WAIT to go!
Having a few days to figure out our plan of attack (because I AM going to take on the city in a BIG way), I have a number of things on my list. It should come as no surprise that aside from the usual touristy-type excursions, plus taking in a few awesome cultural events such as the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, Radio City Music Hall’s Christmas Spectacular, and the Moscow ballet’s Great Russian Nutcracker, my sights are largely set on SHOPPING MY FACE OFF. Oh yea. It’s goin’ DOWN.
And so, I bring to you my next wish list instalment – the NYC edition
The ‘Way Overpriced in Canada’ Wish List
1. Giorgio Armani – prices for Armani products in Canada are hiked way up on almost every single item, which is absolutely ridiculous – especially considering that almost all other brands sold here are near on par with US prices now. I used to order all my stuff from Neiman Marcus, but since they stopped shipping makeup to Canada (WTF!?!?) I haven’t bought a single item from the brand in over a year. I’ve been interested in trying out one of the new(isn) Flash Lacquers ($29US/$38CAD), as well as finally picking up a Rouge d’Armani ($32US/$38CAD) lippie, but I’ve needed a chance to try out shades, so you can be sure I’ll be taking the opportunity this week! Additionally, I’ve been lusting after all iterations of cream/liquid/stain blushes, so I’m gonna eyeball the Blushing Fabrics ($39US/$45CAD) and see if they pique my interest. And…if I’m feeling especially spendy, I might pick up another ETK Intense shadow for good measure – $33US to our $42CAD??? Uh, YEA. C’mon, I gotta take advantage of ‘normal’ prices while I can!
2. Burberry – The markup on Burberry here in Canada is as extreme as Giorgio Armani, if not more so – and as another brand that I enjoy but rarely have an opportunity to shade swatch, I’ve definitely got a few items to seriously investigate. High on my to-buy list is either their Lip Covers ($30US/$40CAD) or Lip Velvets ($30US/$60CAD???????????), and I’ll likely pick up one of their new nail polishes ($21US/$25CAD) as I just can’t resist their packaging. I also wouldn’t mind taking a good hard look at their Light Glow blushes ($42US/$50CAD), the shade Russet which I own having been bought unseen a couple years ago. I’m going to take the opportunity to swatch their eyeshadow singles and palettes ($59US/$70CAD) as well, as I’ve never had the chance, but I’m sort of on mega-shadow overload, so we’ll see if any win me over enough to come home with me.
3. YSL – We have YSL here at our Sephora in Halifax, but I’ve been eyeing their Faux Cils Eyeliners in Sea Black and Cherry Black, and being $6 less in the States ($28US vs $34CAD) I might finally give in. Or I might wait till the next VIB sale – I haven’t yet decided
4. Hourglass - Another overpriced product here in Canada, the Aura Cheek Stains ($38US/$54CAD) have been on my wish list for a while. Again, with my desire to bolster my non-powder cheek products, its likely I’ll pick up one of the two shades at this MUCH better price.
5. Becca - Seems I’m on a blush kick, yea (or I guess it’s just another regular day :P)? Though I’m opting for less powder blushes for the most part, I’ve been dying to try these Mineral Blushes, and again, the price is right ($32US/$38CAD). If nothing else, I want to at least swatch the shades so I know what to order during the next VIB sale.
The ‘Can’t Access in Canada’ Wish List
1. Dolce & Gabbana – This is a brand I’ve been casually interested in over the past few years, but I haven’t felt strongly enough about it to order anything sight-unseen from Sephora. I plan on giving it a good look while away and see if it’s worth a purchase or two (or if anything should be added to a future wish list).
2. Ilia Beauty – I have yet to foray into organic makeup, mainly because everything is only online and I don’t have the option to swatch any shades first, something I try to avoid with makeup. I don’t think I’ll purchase anything while in NYC, but I plan on swatching as much as I can so that I have an idea of what I might like to pick up in the future when the time is right.
3. RMS Beauty – Prices for the above two lines are relatively comparable in Canada as they are in the US; however, RMS does have a somewhat noticeable price increase – therefore I just may have to cave and pick up a few things if they suit my fancy. I’m mainly looking at the “Un” Cover-Up, the Living Luminizer, and the Lip2Cheek colour balms.
4. Tom Ford Beauty - Oh, HECK yea. Without a doubt, some Tom Ford makeup will be coming home with me this week! I have been lemming this brand for what feels like a lifetime, and as they don’t ship the brand to Canada I have been sorely out of luck. I’m getting my chance, bitches!!!! Unless I am totally unimpressed with it all, I plan on buying a blush, lipstick, and nail polish, as who knows when I’ll get my chance again?
5. Givenchy – It may come as a surprise to many of you that I haven’t tried this brand, as it seems like everyone and their dog raves about their lipsticks and polishes. Unfortunately, we don’t carry it anywhere near me and again, I wasn’t comfortable with ordering anything sight-unseen. It is ENTIRELY possible that I’ll be purchasing both a ‘Le Rouge’ lipstick as well as a nail polish, and it is going to be GREAT.
Last but certainly not least is…
The “I Haven’t Bought a Full-Sized Fragrance in Years and It’s About Damn Time / Go Big or Go Home” Wish List
1. Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur – I’ve read so many things about this eponymous fragrance house without ever experiencing why it’s so popular, so it’s about time I change that. The first scent I ever heard about was ‘Carnal Flower,’ so of course it’ll get a sniff or two, but I’m more interested in this warm, spicy, vanilla-heavy scent that sounds right up my alley. I’m hoping to be wowed.
2. Love by Kilian - I know very little about this brand though I’ve heard it’s name often enough. My impression is that it’s hit or miss, but I still plan on giving this gourmand oriental – again heavy on the vanilla – a look to see what it’s all about. If nothing else, I like the bottle!
3. Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille – While my local Sephora carries a few Tom Ford scents, we do not unfortunately have this one, which is THE one I’ve been dying to smell! It sounds SO my kind of jam – clearly I love me anything with vanilla, but am trying to graduate from sickeningly sweet smells into something a bit more…mature, shall we say. I’ve heard differing opinions on this one, so I’ll just have to see for myself.
4. Diptyque Eau Duelle – Initially certain I was only interested in purchasing a candle from the brand (I tried last year to order one from BeautyHabit only to be told the shipping cost would be something like $36…uh, NO), once I started researching scents I came along this one which boasts – surprise – vanilla, but this time with a hit of boozy bourbon along with spicy cardamom and pink pepper. It also contains ambergris, which if you recall from my review of the fragrance from Sephora’s Ariel collection is derived from whale sperm. YES! How very…sexy. LOL
5. Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille – The last contender in my search for a grown-up vanilla-based scent, this fragrance contains sandalwood, an inclusion which I favour in my scents, as well as musk and tonka bean. It may be a touch too summery with the addition of coconut milk, but I’ll give it a whiff nonetheless – I’m rarely discriminatory when it comes to gourmand fragrances
And there you have it! A rather comprehensive look at what I plan on drooling over while away. What’s scary is that this just encompasses my potential beauty purchases – I haven’t even TOUCHED on what I hope to buy for fashion (and jewelry…Tiffany’s, here I come!)!! O_o As Christmas is looming, I’ll also be picking up a few treats here and there for friends and family….so, essentially, I’m coming home very, very broke.
…But also very, very happy!!! New York City, here we come!!! See ya’ll in a week!
Have you been to NYC? Do you have any recommendations on where to go, what to see (and where to shop!?)?