Sometimes you just need a palette cleanser: Dior Vernis in Incognito

I mentioned in my last post that spring nail polishes can be tricky, especially if you don’t want to go for the typical pastel shades. Another great option I find when you just don’t know what kinda manicure you’re hankering for (which has been happening to me a lot lately!) is a nude/neutral shade. Many call this a ‘palette cleanser’ and I tend to agree. If nothing is grabbing my attention out of the boatload of shades I own, I usually grab a neutral hue and slap it on. Easy peasy and matches everything, and your nail still look did. WIN.

Dior Incognito vernis

I got a serious lemming for Dior’s #257 Incognito vernis after seeing enticing swatches of it on The Beauty Look Book. Sabrina’s featured it a few times in various posts, and every time I think ‘I gotta BUY that already!’  Well, finally, I pulled the trigger (seems it always takes me ages to do so, but I get there eventually!), and I’m pretty pleased with my purchase.

Dior Incognito vernis swatch Dior Incognito vernis swatch

Incognito is a muted, rosy-hued neutral polish that I wouldn’t classify as nude per se, as most of us don’t have rosy-hued hands. Due to that fact, it doesn’t veer into “mannequin hands” territory, which I like because I’m not generally a huge fan of that trend – I love a good nude but I’d rather it be a touch lighter or darker than skin tone to stand out more. However, it does blend into the skin tone well, likely due to it’s slightly sheerer formula. I prefer to wear it with two coats to retain some of that sheerness, as I find with three is can look more opaque than I’d like. In the above swatches, I’m wearing it without top coat, so you can see its fairly shiny on it’s own – though not entirely glossy. *Note that the formula I have is the ‘old’ formula – Dior has recently reissued their polish line in their gel formulation, which I imagine would be more shiny. Incognito is still available in this new formulation.

As someone who hates repetition, I always worry that I’m going to get home to find that I have a duplicate shade in my stash. When I did my first manicure in Incognito, it reminded me a lot of RBL’s Poco a Poco (LE), so of course I had to compare.

Dior Incognito vernis vs RBL Poco a Poco vs Chanel Inattendu comparison

In the bottle, the two do look close, though Poco a Poco is more pink (and on the nail, actually more purple), and has the golden-fuchsia shimmer throughout. I also considered Inattendu (Chanel), but it’s much too warm and peachy to be a contender.

Dior Incognito vernis vs RBL Poco a Poco vs Chanel Inattendu swatches comparisonLeft to right: Chanel Inattendu, Dior Incognito, RBL Poco a Poco, Dior Incognito

Dior Incognito vernis vs RBL Poco a Poco vs Chanel Inattendu swatches comparisonLeft to right: Chanel Inattendu, Dior Incognito, RBL Poco a Poco, Dior Incognito

I’m happy I finally gave in to this lemming – it’s a classic shade that will never go out of style, and I’m confident I’ll get a lot of wear out of it. As usual for Dior polishes, it almost applies itself with that fabulous formula and brush, so it’s a bit of a no-brainer. HOWEVER: I swatched YSL’s Beige Leger at Sephora a couple of weeks ago, and I think I have to have IT too, even though it’s quite close to Incognito. It’s ever-so-slightly warmer and more flattering on my hands. You know I don’t love ‘dupes’ but I feel a bit crazy about this one!

Dior Incognito vernis

What are your thoughts on nude/neutral polishes? Do you sometimes have the inability to pick a damn shade to wear??

About these ads

, , , , , , , , , , ,

1. #1 by Makeup Morsels on April 27, 2014 - 4:37 pm

Need to see the YSL on you! This Dior looks fabulous, I haven’t worn nude nails in (actual) years, but when I want a clean manicure I just use this sheer, super-pale pink I have from Trind. It basically looks like clear polish, just a little milkier. Otherwise bring on the colors!

• #2 by Latoya on April 28, 2014 - 7:09 pm

Haha yea, I do love my coloured polishes! But sometimes I get overwhelmed with choice and I don’t know what to pick. A sign that I need to cut back, eh? LOL

2. #3 by Larie on April 28, 2014 - 8:45 pm

I usually make S choose a shade for me when I can’t decide – I bring out a handful and he points, LOL. It’s a foolproof system.

I like nudes for nails, as well – but I don’t have many! It’s a recently acquired taste, I guess. I want Lippmann Naked…

• #4 by Amy on April 29, 2014 - 1:55 pm

Hahaha I also ask M what shade I should wear (though usually I just ask him to give me a color, not choose a particular polish, though I’m getting down to few enough polishes that more precise choosing is becoming an option!). Boys are sometimes handy to have around ;)

• #5 by Latoya on May 5, 2014 - 7:06 am

Haha *sometimes* ;) That’s impressive that you’ve narrowed your stash down enough to be able to choose more easily! Good for you!

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 29, 2014, at 2:56 PM, Beauty Obsessed wrote:

WordPress.com

• #6 by Latoya on May 3, 2014 - 5:52 pm

Yea, I don’t actually have too many nudes, probably 3? It’s definitely a new thing for me too. I would get Ryan to chose my polishes but I feel like he’d pick one and I wouldn’t be feeling it and still go with something else lol

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 28, 2014, at 9:45 PM, Beauty Obsessed wrote:

WordPress.com

3. #7 by Tracy@Beauty Reflections on April 29, 2014 - 1:16 pm

Pretty! I like it! Me and polish have been on a break for a long time now hahaha!

• #8 by Latoya on May 3, 2014 - 5:56 pm

Haha who needs polish when you have so much blush?? :P

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 29, 2014, at 2:16 PM, Beauty Obsessed wrote:

WordPress.com

4. #9 by Amy on April 29, 2014 - 1:57 pm

I’ve wanted this for AGES, but haven’t yet pulled the trigger. I think I’ll pick it up in the new formula once I’ve finished with my NY resolution of wearing all my polishes. There’s something really great about neutral nails, though it’s taken me years to realize it, ha! It looks fantastic on you :)

• #10 by Latoya on May 5, 2014 - 7:05 am

Thanks Amy! I hope you do finally go for it, it’s really pretty and wearable, but not boring :)

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 29, 2014, at 2:57 PM, Beauty Obsessed wrote:

WordPress.com

5. #11 by Liz (@Reductionista) on April 29, 2014 - 5:27 pm

You can’t go wrong with Dior. I have DL Naked which works well as a palate cleanser, but I haven’t had to palate cleanse in a while, lol. I also really like that RBL on you!

6. #12 by Denise on May 12, 2014 - 10:12 pm

This shade looks great on you! I don’t wear nudes often (if ever, actually) because I get bored of them too quickly… and you know my thing for glitter. :P When I do wear something “nude,” I tend to go for more light pinks because they look cleaner against my skintone. Weirdly enough, light pink is my go-to shade for my toes!

• #13 by Latoya on June 6, 2014 - 6:48 am

Interesting, Denise! I actually have never worn a light pink on my toes, ever lol – so maybe that’s more strange! I do love my colors so much, but I really get overwhelmed by choice and a nude is a safe haven for me – probably means I need to cut back again! :S

Sent from my iPhone

On May 12, 2014, at 11:12 PM, Beauty Obsessed wrote:

WordPress.com

7. #14 by talker blogger on August 24, 2014 - 10:49 pm

Absolutely !! Sow times we need such colors

...And what do you have to say about all this?? Dish! :)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,625 other followers