Posts Tagged Lemmings
I feel like I’ve been waiting on Sephora’s semi-annual VIB sale for months…it’s been a good way to keep my spending in check, because I keep telling myself to hold out until the sale, but DAMN – can it get here already!? I’ve got a little cash socked away in a drawer (literally…well, maybe not in a sock, but definitely tucked away in a drawer!) and I’ve written and re-written my shopping list for the event. I’ve been hovering at about 4 items for awhile, but I’m getting antsy and the list is slowly creeping up to 6-7 this week, as I’m thinking I should just stock up on all the items I know I’m going to buy there in the next couple months…urk! We’ll see how it all pans out. In any case, the items below I am definitely (I think…maybe…probably) picking up whenever the heck the sale starts:
1. Comptoir Sud Pacifique’s Vanille Coco mini atomizer $24CAD – The last time I was by the store I spritzed a bit of this on, and god knows I’m a sucker for vanilla and coconut-type scents! I’m trying to break into the more ‘adult’ fragrances (especially since I’ve been reading Denyse Beaulieu’s The Perfume Lover and becoming terribly entranced by the whole history of fragrance), but this will be my guilty pleasure in the meantime. At $24 for a small spray, I don’t feel too bad!
2. NARS Light-Reflecting Pressed Setting Powder $39CAD – For ages I thought I was going to go for one of the new Hourglass Ambient powders, but I realized I need a real setting powder that will control shine more than I need extra radiance. The last powder I bought was in 2010 (I KNOW…IT’S CRAZY), and it was also NARS – the loose powder, which is why I am going for the pressed because JEEZ GUYS I just want something new already! Loose powder is terribly economical but oh so friggin’ boring for someone who likes change!
3. BITE Beauty High Pigment Matte Lip Pencil in Quince $28CAD – I mentioned that this was a contender for my upcoming fuchsia lip purchase, and I’m fairly certain this is what I’m going with. It is a beautifully saturated color and exactly the shade I have been looking for. The only way I might get swayed from buying it is if one of the YSL Rouge Volupte Shine’s catch my eye…which could happen. We shall see!
4. Boscia Tsubaki Beauty Oil $55CAD – I just added this to my list tonight while browsing through the online site for facial oils. The Tarte Pure Maracuja Oil I have is still going strong (a whopping four+ months later! Color me impressed), but I know my fickle self will want to try something new when the time comes. This is the same price, has wonderful ingredients with nothing to aggravate my skin, and it’s something new so hey – it fits the bill quite nicely.
5. Tarte BB Tinted Treatment 12-hr Primer SPF30 $41CAD – I’m on the fence about this one; it’s been getting great reviews and I took a sample home a few weeks ago to try, but it’s really too dark for my skintone to wear it right now so I don’t have an idea of how it works for me yet. I think I’m going to grab a sample of the next lightest shade and play around with them a bit to see how it fares.
So that’s what I’ve got on the brain and the items that *should* come home with me sometime this month. However, I am tempted to also grab the burgundy YSL mascara and the Hourglass lippie I noted last month and still haven’t picked up….yikes. I’m going to try my best to keep it together and keep it under control. Wish me luck!
Do you have a wish list ready for the VIB sale?
Even though in the past month I managed to score an ABUNDANCE of products, I am, afterall, a beauty-focused gal, and thus I am never entirely satisfied. Here I bring you a mere sampling of other products I have a serious hankering for:
1. NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer $30CAD – my ears always perk up when I hear about a new concealer, particularly when they are supposed to be fabulous for dark circles. I have four concealers in rotation right now, all about half-gone, so I am dedicated myself to finishing two before I allow myself to pick up one of these (I’m thinking in either shades Biscuit or Caramel) – the push is ON!
2. MAC #217 / Hakuhodo G5523BkSL Brushes $27.50CAD and $26US, respectively - Even though I’ve been drooling over the Hakuhodo brushes for ages now, I realized the other day that it’s might be silly and non-economical of me to order brushes online when I could get similarly priced options here at home. I think what makes the most sense is to try the MAC version first while funds are tight – then when I can splurge a bit more, order a few Hakuhodo ones – and I’ll likely appreciate them more because I’ll have something to compare them to. Right!?
3. Hourglass Femme Rouge Velvet Creme Lipstick in Raven $35CAD - After noticing that I did not own an orange-red lipstick, I went browsing through Sephora at all the possible contenders. Of course, once I saw that Hourglass had a stunning, creamy orange-red, it was the clear winner! Also loving the option of the refill cartridge, which also means I could technically fill it with another shade if I actually finished Raven. Note: while looking up swatches online, I came across this post on Makeup 4 All – seems they used a mix of Raven and Icon at the La Perla Fall 2013 shows! And they used the Exhibition Duo as well. I’m already ahead of the curve :D
4. YSL Mascara Volume Effet Faux Cils in 5 Burgundy $36CAD – First I saw this tutorial on Lisa Eldridge and got it in my head that a fabulous bright plum mascara is something I NEED to own. Then while I was browsing around Sephora last week, I noticed this mascara by YSL, and after dabbing it on my hand, I was totally convinced. I’m hoping it shows up on my darker lashes.
5. Marcelle Essentials Clay Mask $14.50CAD – I was looking up masques on Makeup Alley and this one came up, although the picture is different (though ingredients listed are the same). It got super-high marks so I’m going to check it out, as my Queen Helene clay masque is finally finished (and should be turfed anyway – it’ s 5 years old!).
I originally had Alterna’s Bamboo Smooth Kendi Dry Oil on the list as well, but I ran out of my current hair oil sample so I picked this up this week (at which time I also got the very last sample of the NUDE skincare oil!!! Wooooooooooooooooo!!!). Of course I have a huge huge huge ongoing wishlist, but these are just a few of the items at the top of my list this month (or, err…week).
What are you lemming lately!?
Though it is very much still winter here in Atlantic Canada – 15-20cms of snow was dumped on Saturday night/Sunday morning – I’m starting to think about all the pretty spring collections coming out, and what shades and products I’d like to pick up for the oncoming season. I’m pretty much ‘meh’ with respect to most of the collections that have come out, but as far as the color palette goes – girly pinks, black liner worn a multitude of ways, emerald green everything – it’ll be easy enough to adapt using either products I already own, or picking up a couple extras that are already existing within different brands. As my wishlist continues to grow to epic proportions, I’m slowly conquering my lemmings by choosing five products per season that fit the bill (as well as fit my goal of filling any gaps). Here’s what’s on the list this month!:
1. Bobbi Brown Long Wear Cream Shadow Stick in Sand Dune $33CAD – Lately I’ve been leaning toward wearing bold lips or cheeks and keeping my eyes quite neutral. I’m looking for a natural-looking shadow that will melt into my skin but brighten the eye area (sans shimmer) and even it out. From looking at swatches of this shade, this one fits the bill perfectly!
2. butter London Jasper $17CAD – I really want to own a pretty yellow polish for spring, but the color can be a tricky one and tends to be streaky. I’ve heard alternate views on this shade, but there’s no denying it’s absolutely spring in a bottle!
3. Giorgio Armani Waterproof Eye Pencil in 1 Granite Black $28 (via Neiman Marcus) – I’ve already mentioned that I’m picking this up soon, as my black liners are at the very nubs – and I want to replace them with what’s supposed to be a fabulous product!
4. YSL Rouge Volupte lipstick in #25 Soft Beige $39CAD – Lacking from my personal stash is a natural nude pink lippie. I tried on another shade of the Rouge Volupte a couple weeks back and was totally hooked by the creamy, gorgeous texture. Not so much a fan of the price, but it’ll be a shade I’ll wear often.
5. Becca Mineral Blush in Sweet Pea $38CAD / MAC Sheertone Shimmer in Blushbaby $24CAD – After going through my blush collection last month, I realized I also lack a basic neutral blush shade (seems I don’t like neutrals, huh). I wont’ be able to try on the Becca color in person, so I’m tempted to play it safe with MAC – but I’ve been meaning to try Becca as a brand for a while. We’ll see which one takes the honours!
What’s on your wishlist these days?
It’s that time again! My lemmings of the month. I seem to be moving away from listing a ton of makeup products, which is probably a tad boring, though I’m sure that’ll change once the Fall collections have all come out (and I actually want to think *Fall* – right now I’m kinda loving Summer, thankyouverymuch!). I do have a number of makeup items on my wishlist, but many of them are part of my ’12 New Beauty Brands’ list for the year, and I want to keep those a bit of a secret to surprise you with as I pick them up :) And I mean, who am I kidding? My ~actual~ wishlist is ENORMOUS, but we would be here all day with that, so I’m just giving you the pared down and more relevant version of products I’m actually going to buy in the near future.
And now – go forth and enjoy! (Oh yea, and see how I’m coming up in the world with my pic below? So snazzy LOL)
1) John Masters Organics Bare Unscented Body Lotion $19CAD
This 100 percent fragrance-free body lotion is loaded with natural oils and glycerin to majorly hydrate, and contains an awesome fusion of coconut oil (heals and repairs, retains moisture, protects), sea kelp (hydrates, softens, and smoothes), milk thistle (antioxidant), vanilla (heals and soothes), comfrey (anti-inflammatory and promotes cell regrowth) and white tea extract (anti-bacterial). The whole ingredient list is majorly impressive with no funky biz (aka lanolin, mineral oil, parabens, etc).
2) L’Occitane Aromachologie Repairing Shampoo $22CAD
A blend of 5 essential oils plus wheat proteins help repair, strengthen, regenerate, and soften dry/damaged hair. The online reviews are overall very favorable, and I’m in the market for a new shampoo, so I’m all for it!
3) MD Formulations Moisture Defense Antioxidant Hydrating Gel $47.60CAD
This Beautypedia-approved moisturizer is a light, oil-free, pH-balanced gel that’s ideal for hydrating oily skin, and contains antioxidants as a bonus. I checked the ingredient list and it’s quite small and free of scary-to-me stuff (though it does contain methylparaben) and notes sodium hyaluronate as the second ingredient after water. Nice!
4) Hourglass Calligraphy Liquid Eye Liner in Indigo $37CAD
I was going to buy Urban Decay Waterproof Liquid Liner in Sabbath, also navy, but the issues I’m having with my Perversion liner are irritating the heck outta me (the ‘filter’ or whatever keeps coming out) – plus, this has more product: 0.08oz as opposed to 0.058, though it is more expensive. It’s Hourglass, c’mon – it’s gotta be fabulous.
5) Essie Topless and Barefoot / OPI Samoan Sand / Chanel Inattendu
I’m really looking to beef up my nude collection, as all these brights and neons are terribly hard to pair together! I can’t get a good idea from swatches online to know if T&B is very similar to Jazz (which I already own), and I can’t find it in stores. I’m also nervous that SS is too yellowed, like Zoya’s Cho, which we all know how I felt about. And I have no clue if I can even purchase Inattendu anymore – will have to investigate. Anyone have any suggestions on their fave nude shade that would work with my skintone?
Such reasonable things to purchase, huh? I’m near the very end of my current antioxidant serum (Clinique’s Repairwear Laser Focus), and since I rarely if ever actually spend my own money on Clinique (and also since I rarely buy the same product twice), I figured it was time to try something new. As for the body lotion, yes, I could stick with my $6 a tube knockoff Aveeno lotion, but goshDARN if it isn’t so freakin’ boring!!! I would love to have a more luxurious option that also doesn’t make my skin crazy, so here’s hoping! The Hourglass liquid liner I threw in there for a bit of fun, though I have been lusting after it for a while. I don’t *need* a navy blue liner, but I’m so frustrated with my black UD one, and the only other options I have in liquid are either burgundy (Illamasqua’s Havoc, which is SPECTACULAR but not always dark enough), bright aqua, or sparkly gunmetal. Time for another ‘classic’ methinks.
So! What’s on your wishlist lately? Any particular product you’ve tried recently that knocks your socks off?
~sigh~ Even though most of my focus is on the condo and any upcoming home-related purchases, a girl’s still got to be frivolous once in a while, and I’ve got my eye on a few sweet products this month. I may not be able to score them all right away, but rest assured – these babies WILL be mine one day soon!
1) Bumble & Bumble Creme de Coco Masque
A couple years ago I was desperate to try this masque with it’s mega-Summery scent, but either the timing was off (I only really want to smell coconutty in the warmer months, and/or if I already had a treatment on the go, I didn’t really need a new one), or I didn’t have justifiable funds to spend the $33CAD on what is a relatively small tube (5oz) of product. I happened to be browsing through Mills last week while I was working the Clinique GWP, and realized that the stars were all aligning, as I’m just running out of my current deep conditioner, and lo and behold, it’s (almost) Summer! Funds aren’t any better than they were before, but hey, two outta three ain’t bad :)
2) NARS Casino Bronzer
Also while passing the time while working a shift at Mills, I tried on Casino, a somewhat shimmery bronzer that gives my skin an insanely fabulous glow. I had set up a swap for this back in March, but after waiting months to receive my end, it fell through *long, long, LONG, story there* so I never got my chance. At that time I hadn’t even done more than swatch this product, but now after trying it on my face, I really gotta have this now!
3) Deborah Lippmann Rich Girl Hand and Cuticle Cream SPF25
With the sunshine out and about, I’m all too aware that my skin is being exposed to aging rays, and hands in particular are one of the biggest places on the body that show signs of aging. Deb Lippmann’s hand cream is chock-full of shea butter, avocado and jojoba oil (and it’s clear from the ingredient list!), smells yummy, and has a fairly high SPF to boot. Sign me up, please!
4) Shiseido Perfect Rouge Lipstick, or Luminizing Satin Eye Color Trio in GD804
Haha, yea, one or the other, right!? I keep reading great reviews about the Shiseido lipstick formula, so I’d love to check them out, but I also love the feel of their eyeshadows, and this particular trio has such an interesting shade combination – like a periwinkle blue, yellow gold, and shimmering khaki. Yowza!!
5) MAC Lip & Cheek Colors from the Casual Colors Collection ~sigh~
Often I am able to resist MAC’s charms, but every so often – usually with blush – I get reeled in. These Casual Color pots for lips and cheeks just look so relaxed and easy to use, how can I resist? Thankfully, many of the shades are too fair for my skin, so only two caught my eye – Out for Fun, a ‘cool coral,’ and Keep It Casual, a ‘warm wine.’
I actually only own two cream-based blushes, and since these moonlight as a lippie you get more bang for your buck. I’m planning on checking them out in store on Monday when I’m off, so we’ll see…I had high hopes for the Tres Cheek collection and ended up passing on the whole lot, so it could very well happen again!
I find that my lemmings list is so extensive now that it’s almost hard to come up with just five to write about each month. On top of that, I find that looking back, I’ve only picked up a handful out of all the items I’ve noted, and I really want to make sure I’m showcasing products that I actually hope/plan to purchase. I think the list above is pretty realistic :)
What are you lemming this month? Any opinions on my lemmings? Any good/bad experiences?
Oh dear. It’s been quite, busy shall we say, behind the scenes at Beauty Obsessed (lol). I don’t know if it’s the Spring air or what, but I feel like I’ve gone completely mental and bought everything that’s landed in my path these days! I cringe at the thought of this month’s upcoming low-buy update…I’m preparing you now, so please don’t lambaste me when the time comes! :P
Despite the fact that I’ve been shopping like crazy, there are still a few things on my lemmings list that my grabby fingers have yet to get a hold of – but only a few. Originally, the Yves Saint Laurent Glossy Stains were #1 on my Desperate-Need list, but as noted yesterday I swiped the shade #7 Corail Aquatique even though there were no testers yet available (obviously I could not wait!). I also had Kate Somerville’s Quench Oil-Free Hydrating Serum on the list, but picked that up on the last day of the 15% off deal (it’s regularly $78CAD so that saved me a fair bit!). So, what’s left? Well, take a look below:
1) Stila Sheer Color Tinted Moisturizer Oil-Free SPF20 $44/NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer SPF 30 $49/Bobbi Brown Oil-Free Tinted Moisturizer SPF15 $50
I’m tossed up between the three of these – each have their merits and drawbacks – but I really am trying to get better at testing things out first, so I got samples of Stila’s and NARS’ so we’ll see how each reacts to my skin. I’ve been using Stila’s all week and so far so good – it feels like and light and hasn’t irritated my skin – and the sample of NARS’ is darker to suit me (hopefully) for down South. I’ll pick up a sample of Bobbi’s when I get back if I can as well. I desperately need a foundation for my tanned skin so hopefully one of these will be a winner!
2) Zoya Beach & Surf Collection
Oh MAN this collection looks amazing! Kimber (coral pink with gold shimmer), Arizona (medium yellow-orange), Zuza (aqua with shimmer), and Wednesday (medium aqua cream) are all calling my name. I usually have trouble finding bright Summer shades I like, but this season seems to be full of them!
3) Estee Lauder Pure Color Blush $32
I haven’t tried any particular shades on, but when I saw these at Mills a couple weeks ago, every single shade looked absolutely amazing! I’m trying very hard to hold off on buying any blush for a few months at least, so this may need to wait and be a birthday gift to myself at the end of May :)
4) Sephora Professionnel Natural Smudge Brush #11 $23
I’m not entirely sure I need this…but I want it! LOL And that’s reason enough, right? Sometimes I wonder if I should be investing in a few more brushes which would help me utilize my makeup better. I usually just smudge with my finger, which works fine, but I bet this would work great and be less messy!
5) NARS Lipstick in Heat Wave $30
I was at the counter this week and had read that this was a great orange-red shade, perfect for the season. I swatched it an instantly fell for the creamy feel, semi-matte finish, and uber-flattering shade on my skintone. I can already tell I’m going to give in to this one – I’ve been bitten by the lipstick bug lately and this one will be a great addition to my budding collection!
Much to my chagrin, I was also eagerly awaiting the new MAC Tres Cheek and Extra Dimension collections (while berating myself for being more than mildly interested in yet ANOTHER MAC release) – I mean, c’mon – a collection just about blush?! – but I went to the store bright and early yesterday and found that the Tres Cheek blush were almost all pretty basic, and the Extra Dimension dupe for Lauder’s Modern Mercury Gelee, Superb, was just meh. I mean, they were all nice, but nothing stand-out, you know? I’d rather buy a blush that’s like nothing I own (from another brand!), and when I do buy a highlighter, I want it to be totally gorgeous and covet-worthy. I have to admit I was pleased that I managed to resist :)
I’m fairly certain each and every one of these babies will be coming home with me in the near future, but for now at least I know that starting today, for a whole week I’ll be unable to spend money on cosmetics – hooray for my wallet!! Instead, I’ll be soaking up the rays, where makeup and beauty will be far from my mind (well…maybe :P). I have a few scheduled posts to keep you guys busy until I return, but until then – have a lovely weekend and week and I’ll be back soon!!
What’s on your lemmings list these days? Have you tried any of the products above and can vouch for their awesomeness? Do you have any tinted moisturizer recommendations for an oilier skin type?
Ok, so I know that the Santa Claus reference is in poor taste – too soon, too soon, my apologies – but seriously, this is what I’ve been doing for the past week, ever since I
sold my soul joined forces with a handful of other beauty bloggers to keep our purchasing to a reasonable level for the next little while. I have been writing and re-writing lists upon lists of beauty items I want to buy in the coming months, trying to make sure that it fits within my guidelines, which also means that they have to be 100% worth it (because I’m not wasting my limited purchasing allowances on just anything!). I think I keep writing them down everywhere to give myself hope when I’m seriously jonesing to indulge in a beauty buy. Either that, or I’m major OCD. I have my suspicions.
~Anyway~ …here are the items I’ve been giving the serious eyeball that in the next few months WILL be mine (Oh man – this list is NOT short…Ooops!):
1) Shades from OPI’s Holland collection and/or Essie’s Navigate Her collection – after an enlightening comparison review by Eugenia of Ommorphia Beauty Bar, I now have to choose between the eye-catching orange polishes OPI A Roll in the Hague / Essie Orange, It’s Obvious!, and the fabulous bright coral red’s OPI Red Lights Ahead…Where? / Essie Ole Caliente. Both comparisons are dead ringers so I suppose it’s whichever I stumble across first that determines which will get to come home with me!
2) Bare Escentuals Flawless Definition Volumizing Mascara $23CAD – the two mascaras I have in rotation will be turfed so fast once I get my hands on this. They’re not impressing me as of late and I’m desperately looking forward to a new option. I’ve read good things about Bare Escentuals formulations – gentle on eyes, which I super-need – and I’m really hoping that it’s got the oomph to it that it claims, because I getting tired of putting up with the ‘natural’ look!
3) Too Faced California in a Compact in Beach Bunny $36CAD – I thought I gave up on bronzers last year when I picked up NARS’ Laguna Illuminator, but with the promise of our upcoming sand and sun all-inclusive vacation, I’m envisioning myself with a gorgeous bronzed glow and I want to achieve it fast. The Illuminator is lovely but a tad bit fussy, and…really I just feel like I need a true bronzer like everyone else, dammit!
4) Bare Escentuals Purely Nourishing Moisturizer – Normal to Dry Skin $35CAD – The fluctuation in temperature here in Halifax is ridiculous, and it’s hard to keep my skin in check, particularly through the wickedly cold and windy treks to and from work. I need a heavier night cream to replenish the lost moisture from these days, and I’m hoping the shea butters in this will do the trick!
5) Urban Decay 24/7 Waterproof Liquid Liner in Sabbath $22CAD – I’ve decided not to buy any more pencil liners for a long while, because on my eyes, liquid liners just look the best. I don’t need any liquid liners at the moment, but I just really want a dark blue one. ‘Nuff said.
6) Philosophy Help Me Treatment $59CAD – I got about a week’s worth of this treatment from a Sephora rep to try, as I have been wanting to incorporate retinol into my regime, but am nervous due to my skin’s sensitivity. Since the retinol content in this product is fairly low, I thought it would be a good place to start. I used it all over my face and neck, even on my two patches of eczema on my forehead, and it didn’t cause any irritation at all!! This is a feat even with non-treatment products, so I’m quite pleased. On top of that, I woke up every day while I was trying it out with silky smooth skin. I’m ALL over this.
7) Guerlain Rouge G lipstick $47US – I’m not sure how much these are in Canadian dollars because I’m too scared to look. I really want to own just one of these because Christine at Temptalia raves about them, and last weekend I finally tried on one at Shoppers and it felt just beautiful. I’m not a huge lipstick wearer, but these seem like more my speed as they can be on the sheer side with a shiny finish. I’m not sure if I can really cough up this much dough for a lippie, but you just never know!
8) Bobbi Brown High Shimmer Lip Gloss $23US – Also not sure how much these are in Canadian dollars as I haven’t checked my local counter, and it’s Canada Restricted when I go on the Sephora website (so ridiculous, btw). I’ve read so many good things about these glosses and I’m desperate to try, but I MUST get rid of a few from my current stash first. Make way!
9) Too Faced Perfect Eyes Waterproof Eyeliner in Peacock $24CAD – Another vision that I have for myself while in Jamaica is wearing a fabulous deep teal liner with my gorgeous new bronzed glow. The swatches of this online look ridic, and I must get my hands on this. I like that it is a pencil that melts into a liquid – although in writing that I just realized that I completely contradicted the statement above about not buying any more pencil liners. Oh well, for this I’ll make an exception.
10) Murad Pomegranate Exfoliating Mask $23CAD – I currently do not own any skincare item that exfoliates my skin; after over-exfoliating for years and now dealing with the oversensitivity aftereffects, I’m only now just slowly introducing products back into my arsenal that will keep my cell turnover regular. From the description online it sounds like this will give my skin a glow but will be gentle to use – it only contains 6 applications, so the good news is that if I hate it, I won’t have a huge amount left to deal with after the fact.
I realize that every product I mentioned aside from the polishes, require me to use one/two other items in my stash (as per my guidelines) before I can make a purchase. For skincare, that’s too easy, as I’m almost out of several products and I’m buying the above as replacements; for the mascara, I’ll actually be tossing two so I can buy the one. As for the five other makeup items I noted…that means I have to use up 10 other products in order to buy these. Funny how when it comes down to the wire, you’ll get as ruthless as needed in order to get what you want. I am fully prepared to begin tossing or giving away any items that I don’t love in order to buy things that I know I will. I’ve gone through my stash and I can think of 13 items that I could part with and not be sad about – so I’ll get ‘er done, don’t you worry about that!
So tell me: What’s on your beauty wishlist these days?