Archive for category Lemmings
Even though this is the time for giving, you can’t help but be pulled in by all the fabulous gift sets and beautiful holiday products gracing the shelves of your favorite stores – at least, THIS HERE GIRL can’t help but be tempted! While I’ve done well not buying too much for me this month (except for my EPIC DevaCurl haul that I indulged in earlier this week – details on my first professional haircut in over 5 years [I KNOW] plus the whole DevaCurl experience so far are forthcoming!), I have done a fair bit of ogling. All the pretty things!
There are always hoards of items on my ‘to buy’ list, but I feel like a holiday wishlist should be a bit more special, with items that might otherwise be completely out of the question (you never know who might be reading this post to get ideas! *hinthint*). I picked out four products that particularly have caught my eye and given me something to dream about (aside from sugarplum fairies, and the myriad of WHACK-A-DOO dreams you have when you’re pregnant!).
Tarte Dream Come Hue 12 Piece Collectors Set ($210 CAD)
Normally sets like this are a little intimidating to me – so many of one (or two) things! – but ever since the collectable Tarte Amazonian Clay Blushes launched years ago I wanted to try them out. Unfortunately, they contain lanolin, which is not my friend, but so do NARS blush, and I wear them fine without issue. I think if I were wearing them every day it might be more of a problem (like I found when I was using a Laura Mercier concealer with lanolin for my undereye area), but I rotate my blush ever day, so… Since I’m way behind in trying these babies out, wouldn’t it make the most sense to just try SIX AT ONCE? And while I’m at it, I can try six of the brand’s Lipsurgence Lip Tints too….I mean, it’s just the most logical solution. Right?
YSL Volupté Tint-In-Oil ($35CAD)
Though I only own two YSL products (both lippies), I am always intrigued by their newest launches. The Tint-In-Oil is a lip color/stain + conditioner that boasts a handful of nourishing oils to keep lips looking youthful and hydrated. Even though the matte lipstick movement is still going strong, as much as I love the way it looks it doesn’t always work out for me in the drier winter months. After seeing a few swatches online, I found myself really coveting the juicy, glossy yet bright shades of these – in particular I’m lemming Pink About Me, a medium purple-tinged pink. Cool-toned pinks will get me every time!
Urban Decay Naked Vault ($336 CAD)
This is another kind of obscene collectors set, but since I don’t own any of the Naked palettes, its like it was made for someone like me, no? Zero to sixty, that’s how I roll. Truth be told, I have no interest in the Flushed blush/bronzer/highlight trios that come in this set, so it might not be the best value for me – as I’m really angling for the 3 Naked palettes, which ring in at $64CAD each, I’d be better off to just buy the three and call it a day at $192. But where’s the fun in that??
In any case, it’s showing as sold out online at Sephora, so THIS particular item really was just a dream…
Fresh Sugar Face Polish ($68CAD)
I snagged a deluxe sample of this when I shopped Sephora during the VIB [Rouge] sale, and I have been pleasantly surprised by how much I love it. It’s got the perfect consistency – gentle yet effectively scrubby, without feeling harsh in the least (likely due to the inclusion of seed oils like meadowfoam, grape, strawberry, and macadamia). My skin feels stupidly soft and smooth after using this, and has a major glow – it would be ideal to use before a party or other special event. I thought it might cause problems because fragrance is kind of high on the ingredient list, but I haven’t experienced any issues so far using it once a week for the past month. I think for me, as long as my daily products don’t contain fragrance, I’m mostly safe. The price is steeper than I’d normally pay for a scrub, but honestly I think I might cave in the New Year – it’s that lovely.
Interestingly enough, though my ongoing wishlist is crazy-long, the number of items I’d actually want to receive (at one time) is fairly low – I like to space out my beauty acquisitions so it gives me time to use stuff up, and also doesn’t get too overwhelming. I think this list would give me a lot to play with – probably more than is sensible, given that there are two collectors sets lol – but what the heck – it IS the holidays, after all!
What’s on your wishlist this year?
I have been exceedingly good this season, and have picked up next to nothing from the Fall 2014 collections – only recently caving to the allure of Zoya’s Ignite collection and ordering both Remy (metallic indigo with gold and copper shimmer) and India (deep red with gold metallic shimmer) polishes. However, that doesn’t mean that my wish list still isn’t a mile long, or that I don’t pine away for products every minute of every day. Right now, my ‘Loves’ list on Sephora is like, 4 pages and growing daily…oops! I have been holding out for the usual 15% off sale they have right around the beginning of fall, and the products show above are on the ‘serious contenders’ list for purchase:
I feel that this list is half frivolous, half reasonable. The lipsticks, shadows and blush I don’t *need* of course, but I’ve been dying to try both lipstick formulas so it’s probably time I do that; the shadows and blush, well ~shrugs~ I’m human, after all! I desperately need a Z palette to put all of my newly depotted shadows in, and I want to try the LM powder under my eyes to set my concealer – I’m hoping it’ll also give a nice brightening boost, as sometimes regular powder looks too flat and does nothing to improve the darkness. Finally, I’m running low on most of my base coats, and I’ve been curious about the Formula X ‘System’ so this might kill two birds with one stone.
What’s on your wish list this fall??
So my most excellent boyfriend has been planning a secret trip for the two of us for the past two months, to which I was aware but not privy to our destination. Earlier this week I was finally told where we were headed so that I’d have a little time to plan what I’d like to do…..in NEW YORK CITY!!!!!!!!! ~jumps up and down excitedly~ We leave this Tuesday!! I am SO EXCITED, GUYS. I’ve never been, and I cannot WAIT to go!
Having a few days to figure out our plan of attack (because I AM going to take on the city in a BIG way), I have a number of things on my list. It should come as no surprise that aside from the usual touristy-type excursions, plus taking in a few awesome cultural events such as the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, Radio City Music Hall’s Christmas Spectacular, and the Moscow ballet’s Great Russian Nutcracker, my sights are largely set on SHOPPING MY FACE OFF. Oh yea. It’s goin’ DOWN.
And so, I bring to you my next wish list instalment – the NYC edition 🙂
The ‘Way Overpriced in Canada’ Wish List
1. Giorgio Armani – prices for Armani products in Canada are hiked way up on almost every single item, which is absolutely ridiculous – especially considering that almost all other brands sold here are near on par with US prices now. I used to order all my stuff from Neiman Marcus, but since they stopped shipping makeup to Canada (WTF!?!?) I haven’t bought a single item from the brand in over a year. I’ve been interested in trying out one of the new(isn) Flash Lacquers ($29US/$38CAD), as well as finally picking up a Rouge d’Armani ($32US/$38CAD) lippie, but I’ve needed a chance to try out shades, so you can be sure I’ll be taking the opportunity this week! Additionally, I’ve been lusting after all iterations of cream/liquid/stain blushes, so I’m gonna eyeball the Blushing Fabrics ($39US/$45CAD) and see if they pique my interest. And…if I’m feeling especially spendy, I might pick up another ETK Intense shadow for good measure – $33US to our $42CAD??? Uh, YEA. C’mon, I gotta take advantage of ‘normal’ prices while I can! 😉
2. Burberry – The markup on Burberry here in Canada is as extreme as Giorgio Armani, if not more so – and as another brand that I enjoy but rarely have an opportunity to shade swatch, I’ve definitely got a few items to seriously investigate. High on my to-buy list is either their Lip Covers ($30US/$40CAD) or Lip Velvets ($30US/$60CAD???????????), and I’ll likely pick up one of their new nail polishes ($21US/$25CAD) as I just can’t resist their packaging. I also wouldn’t mind taking a good hard look at their Light Glow blushes ($42US/$50CAD), the shade Russet which I own having been bought unseen a couple years ago. I’m going to take the opportunity to swatch their eyeshadow singles and palettes ($59US/$70CAD) as well, as I’ve never had the chance, but I’m sort of on mega-shadow overload, so we’ll see if any win me over enough to come home with me.
3. YSL – We have YSL here at our Sephora in Halifax, but I’ve been eyeing their Faux Cils Eyeliners in Sea Black and Cherry Black, and being $6 less in the States ($28US vs $34CAD) I might finally give in. Or I might wait till the next VIB sale – I haven’t yet decided 😉
4. Hourglass – Another overpriced product here in Canada, the Aura Cheek Stains ($38US/$54CAD) have been on my wish list for a while. Again, with my desire to bolster my non-powder cheek products, its likely I’ll pick up one of the two shades at this MUCH better price.
5. Becca – Seems I’m on a blush kick, yea (or I guess it’s just another regular day :P)? Though I’m opting for less powder blushes for the most part, I’ve been dying to try these Mineral Blushes, and again, the price is right ($32US/$38CAD). If nothing else, I want to at least swatch the shades so I know what to order during the next VIB sale.
The ‘Can’t Access in Canada’ Wish List
1. Dolce & Gabbana – This is a brand I’ve been casually interested in over the past few years, but I haven’t felt strongly enough about it to order anything sight-unseen from Sephora. I plan on giving it a good look while away and see if it’s worth a purchase or two (or if anything should be added to a future wish list).
2. Ilia Beauty – I have yet to foray into organic makeup, mainly because everything is only online and I don’t have the option to swatch any shades first, something I try to avoid with makeup. I don’t think I’ll purchase anything while in NYC, but I plan on swatching as much as I can so that I have an idea of what I might like to pick up in the future when the time is right.
3. RMS Beauty – Prices for the above two lines are relatively comparable in Canada as they are in the US; however, RMS does have a somewhat noticeable price increase – therefore I just may have to cave and pick up a few things if they suit my fancy. I’m mainly looking at the “Un” Cover-Up, the Living Luminizer, and the Lip2Cheek colour balms.
4. Tom Ford Beauty – Oh, HECK yea. Without a doubt, some Tom Ford makeup will be coming home with me this week! I have been lemming this brand for what feels like a lifetime, and as they don’t ship the brand to Canada I have been sorely out of luck. I’m getting my chance, bitches!!!! Unless I am totally unimpressed with it all, I plan on buying a blush, lipstick, and nail polish, as who knows when I’ll get my chance again?
5. Givenchy – It may come as a surprise to many of you that I haven’t tried this brand, as it seems like everyone and their dog raves about their lipsticks and polishes. Unfortunately, we don’t carry it anywhere near me and again, I wasn’t comfortable with ordering anything sight-unseen. It is ENTIRELY possible that I’ll be purchasing both a ‘Le Rouge’ lipstick as well as a nail polish, and it is going to be GREAT.
Last but certainly not least is…
The “I Haven’t Bought a Full-Sized Fragrance in Years and It’s About Damn Time / Go Big or Go Home” Wish List
1. Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur – I’ve read so many things about this eponymous fragrance house without ever experiencing why it’s so popular, so it’s about time I change that. The first scent I ever heard about was ‘Carnal Flower,’ so of course it’ll get a sniff or two, but I’m more interested in this warm, spicy, vanilla-heavy scent that sounds right up my alley. I’m hoping to be wowed.
2. Love by Kilian – I know very little about this brand though I’ve heard it’s name often enough. My impression is that it’s hit or miss, but I still plan on giving this gourmand oriental – again heavy on the vanilla – a look to see what it’s all about. If nothing else, I like the bottle!
3. Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille – While my local Sephora carries a few Tom Ford scents, we do not unfortunately have this one, which is THE one I’ve been dying to smell! It sounds SO my kind of jam – clearly I love me anything with vanilla, but am trying to graduate from sickeningly sweet smells into something a bit more…mature, shall we say. I’ve heard differing opinions on this one, so I’ll just have to see for myself.
4. Diptyque Eau Duelle – Initially certain I was only interested in purchasing a candle from the brand (I tried last year to order one from BeautyHabit only to be told the shipping cost would be something like $36…uh, NO), once I started researching scents I came along this one which boasts – surprise – vanilla, but this time with a hit of boozy bourbon along with spicy cardamom and pink pepper. It also contains ambergris, which if you recall from my review of the fragrance from Sephora’s Ariel collection is derived from whale sperm. YES! How very…sexy. LOL
5. Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille – The last contender in my search for a grown-up vanilla-based scent, this fragrance contains sandalwood, an inclusion which I favour in my scents, as well as musk and tonka bean. It may be a touch too summery with the addition of coconut milk, but I’ll give it a whiff nonetheless – I’m rarely discriminatory when it comes to gourmand fragrances 🙂
And there you have it! A rather comprehensive look at what I plan on drooling over while away. What’s scary is that this just encompasses my potential beauty purchases – I haven’t even TOUCHED on what I hope to buy for fashion (and jewelry…Tiffany’s, here I come!)!! As Christmas is looming, I’ll also be picking up a few treats here and there for friends and family….so, essentially, I’m coming home very, very broke.
…But also very, very happy!!! New York City, here we come!!! See ya’ll in a week! 😀
Have you been to NYC? Do you have any recommendations on where to go, what to see (and where to shop!?)?
Ok. So I’ve been going a little crazy with this whole organic beauty thing. Or maybe a lot crazy. I guess it depends on your perspective. For me, I FEEL a little crazy, which is probably the most important opinion, right? Eeep. Oh well. Stockings with coal in them for everyone this year!
Obviously, I can explain my behavior in a variety of TOTALLY justifiable ways. As I noted in my green beauty Part I post, I’ve been using up old stuff and making way for the new. That includes a new facial mist (Kahina Giving Beauty Toning Mist) and a new exfoliant (Osmia Organics Detox Exfoliating Mask – 20% off this past weekend, hel-LO!) to replace the ones I’ve finished. Then, I HAD to buy the Ellovi Butter that both Taylor and Megan raved about, because I was given a $5 coupon for the site. And with the change in weather, my skin has been unusually dry and I needed a booster product on top of my Pai Rosehip oil, so I bought Soapwalla’s Restorative Face Serum – CLEARLY I can’t be walking around with dry skin. The only purchase I can’t justify is Lina Hanson’s Global Body Serum, which I bought last month – $64 of pure CRAZY there, yep…but I will say, it’s actually kind of a miracle on my eczema. I’ve had persistent patches on my legs for months, and a few drops of this mixed with my Haus of Gloi pumpkin butter has fixed them right up. Could I have tried a basic carrier oil like avocado mixed with my cream for a much cheaper and likely similarly effective result? ….Let’s not go there, shall we?
Anyway. Like I said, I’ve been a little CRAZY lately, it’s true. What makes me even more crazy, is that I’ve still got a list a mile long of other products I want to try…but thankfully for the moment I’ve put a stop to the madness and am exercising restraint for the rest of the month (and yes…I realize I’ve done most of this damage in 4 days O_o). For the time being, I’m just going to ogle my *little* list here and
lie in patiently wait until my wallet cools off it seems reasonable to purchase something. Which of course is up for interpretation 😉
1) Kahina Giving Beauty Eye Serum $78CAD – A light eye treatment rich in peptides and antioxidants, designed to alleviate dark circles as well as address fine lines and wrinkles. I had a sample of this that lasted almost two weeks, and in that time my eyes looked brighter and felt HELLA smooth. Sign me up, please.
2) One Love Organics Vitamin B Active Moisture Cleansing Oil $39CAD – Another product I had a sample of, I found this oil cleanser worked well to remove my makeup at the end of the day and rinse away cleanly without needing a cloth to wipe it off, like many other organic oil cleansers. It also contains papain, a fruit enzyme that helps exfoliate the skin – I love me a good dual product. Though I am not a huge fan of the super-sweet, tropical scent, it’s manageable for a product that’s effective.
3) La Bella Figura Bio Active Healing Mask (may buy soon as there is a 15% off coupon code till Nov 15th) $65CAD – With my skin on the drier side these days, I’m in need of a nice restorative, hydrating mask. I’m currently finishing up the derma-e one I purchased last year (thank god…that heavy floral smell, gah!), and this one sounds just about perfect. It contains honey, which is kind of the be-all in skincare lately, and it both balances, moisturizes, and exfoliates the skin (again with the multi-functional produts!). It’s also chock-full of antioxidants…me likey.
4) Graydon The Balm $29CAD – Here I am again, trying to stock up on the heavy-hitters that will keep my skin hydrated throughout the cold days and the moisture-sucking central heating we deal with during wintertime. I had a sample of Pai’s Chamomile and Rosehip Sensitive Skin Cream which I thought may work, but it was a bit heavy and my skin felt a bit reactive after using it. The Graydon Balm (a Canadian brand!) has super-light hydrators that I should be able to apply over oils at night without fear of clogging my pores, and it’s supposed to be ideal for eczema. Perfect!
5) Aster & Bay Glow Facial Serum $32 – Nourishing and moisturizing oil with essential fatty acids and antioxidants to repair the moisture barrier and protect the skin from environmental aggressors. It’s supposed to give skin a great glow and contains a slew of ‘dry’ oils (like hazelnut and macadamia nut) that are great for day use on my combo-oily skin. I plan on wearing this under my Pai Geranium & Thistle moisturizer to get that dewy look I’m losing with the cold weather.
6) Marie Veronique Organics Treatment Oil $82CAD – I’ve only read a few things about the MVO line, but as I like to be well-rounded I started looking into each of the products to see if anything would suit me. Lo and behold, I read the details and the ingredient list on this oil and wow! It’s not terribly suitable for my skin right now where I’m not experiencing any breakouts – more so dry patches – but in the warmer months I think this will be amazing. It’s got a handful of wonderful oils and extracts that are considered especially effective for acne-prone and/or oily skin, such as willow bark (a natural salicylic acid) and watermelon seed oil (which helps dissolve excess sebum), plus gentle ingredients to reduce inflammation.
7) Consonant Intensive Therapy Organic Hand Cream $20CAD – I’m currently using an organic hand cream that contains Borage oil, which is super-high in Gamma Linoleic Acid and hence awesome at repairing the skin’s barrier function (a must for my eczema-prone hands). However, it smells like rotting meat. I’m not even kidding guys, it is the WORST smelling product I’ve ever used in my life!! Its effective enough and the smell dissipates after 5 minutes, so I’m going to struggle though it, but after that I’m gonna get me some of THIS stuff – a lovely rich hand cream that is made by a Canadian brand. You can’t get much better than that (although you can get MUCH worse with this Borage oil cream…blech!).
8) Yarok Feed Your Ends Leave-In Conditioner $23CAD – I haven’t been using a leave-in since last winter, and its come time to get on the wagon again. This has jojoba and olive oils as it’s two primary ingredients, both excellent for hair, so I’m giving it a go. Hair care with really basic ingredients is equally important to me as it is in skincare, as most contain a whack of artificial fragrance that kills my scalp and can irritate my face if I’m wearing my hair down. I don’t like to spend too much on hair care but I’ll give anything a shot once. If it lasts for a few months it’ll be worth it.
Innersense Organic Beauty Quiet Calm Curl Control $20 – Designed to eliminate frizz and smooth textured hair, this is one of the few organic styling creams I’ve found on the market so far specifically targeted toward curly hair. Again, it’s a bit more than I like to spend on my hair, but I use very little product, and the TIGI curl cream I’ve been using I’ve had for a good 6 months and am just nearing the end, so I can deal with it. I haven’t gotten my hair professionally cut in over 3 years now, so spending a little extra on my hair is not really all that bad!
May Lindstrom The Honey Mud *not yet released* – I don’t know much about this soon-to-be-released product, but it looks and sounds amazing from what I do know! It’s described as a lush, velvety cleanser that can also be used as a masque (dual-purpose, hurrah!). And just yesterday I heard that there is another new release coming out this month as well, called The Blue Cocoon (a balm)…oh May, I have yet to own anything of yours, and I wasn’t wowed by The Youth Dew (thank GOD…$125 is the height of crazy), but I will get my hands on something of yours yet!
You may notice the title of this post – indicative of a series of wishlists, perhaps?? And…you would be right 🙂 Though skincare is my primary focus these days, I still ogle makeup and polish on the regular too. Keep your eyes peeled for those wish lists in the coming weeks! (I’m a lost cause, I know)
What’s on your wishlists lately??
Ah, autumn. The season that always releases my favorite makeup collections 🙂 This year, I’m determined to give myself permission to pick up a few choice pieces to give my daily routine a little boost! Check out the wish list to see what has me drooling:
1. Dior 5 Couleurs Eyeshadow Palette in 384 Bonne Etoile $62CAD– the most gorgeous-looking palette I’ve seen in ages. However, not all is as it seems…see note below.
2. MAC Pressed Pigment in Damson $25CAD – I actually couldn’t wait to buy this gorgeous plummy-brown sparker and it came home with me before I could even get this post out. As a non-glitter-loving person, I have essentially ignored the Pressed Pigments entirely over the past few releases, but decided earlier this summer to give the formula a shot the next time I had a chance. Damson has been the perfect introduction to add a little sparkle to my life! Review to come.
3. Giorgio Armani Eyes to Kill Intense in #30 Rose Popillia $42CAD – I haven’t bought any Armani makeup in a while now, mainly due to the ridiculous price hike we have here in Canada. However, the ETK shadows always manage to lure me in, and Rose Popillia is a beautiful muted rose-taupe shade with a hint of duochrome. From the swatches I’ve seen, it needs to be in my life and I’ll probably shell out the big bucks for it, even though it’ll pain me a bit!
4. Dior Fusion Mono Eyeshadow in Millenium $31CAD – In the promo photos this looks a bit more khaki than I was interested in. But since seeing swatches around and testing it out in store (though – they don’t have the product to sell, just the testers…what’s the deal, Dior!?!? That happened in TWO stores I visited), I’ve come to realize this is GORGEOUS and is more like a darkened pewter shade. The sparkliness of these shadows is super pretty and again, I feel like I need a bit more shimmer in my life than usual. BRING IT.
5. Zoya Louise $9CAD – I’ve been kind of itching for a dark chocolate creme polish for a while now, and I think this one is it. It’s dark enough to look contrast nicely with my skintone (re: not mannequin hands) and Zoya is generally a winning formula in my books. So yummy.
6. YSL City Drive Palette in Classy $74CAD – I normally have little interest in the YSL brand as a whole except for their lip products, but I do strive to be well-rounded in all areas of my life, and when I saw swatches of this palette crop up here and there, I was pleasantly surprized to find that I quite liked how it all came together. I haven’t seen this in person yet so a bit more investigation is needed, but if I’m feeling crazy this just might happen 😉
7. Bobbi Brown Long Wear Cream Eyeshadow Pencil in Bittersweet $33CAD – I’ve been interested in trying one of these newish pencils out but hadn’t taken the plunge. I desperately need a nice dark brown eyeshadow, as I have plenty of medium shades but nothing deep dark. I’m hoping this might do the trick and kill two birds with one stone!
8. Chanel Le Blush Creme in Affinite $43CAD – I’m not going to buy both this AND Fantastic, but I’m torn between the two. I don’t own too many cream blushes but I would like to change that, and what better place to start than Chanel? A cool pink (which now I know is my JAM) would be perfect for fall/winter…though I must admit, I saw swatches/photos of Destiny on Karen at MBB and the shade looked so gorgeous and natural!
9. Chanel Le Blush Creme in Fantastic $42 CAD – see above.
10. NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Mysterious Red $30CAD – Another product I’ve been dying to try but just haven’t make the purchase yet. You can’t really go wrong with a lush, bold red that looks like the perfect tone for fall. This will be a definite pick-up when it arrives in stores (strangely, they have most of the collection but not this shade, yet).
Ok, so here’s the story with the Dior palette. Last week I drew up this wish list and all was good. But over the weekend, I had an opportunity to check out the Dior fall collection, and was sadly disappointed – that gorgeous Bonne Etoile quint? On my skintone, it looked totally muddy 😥 I really thought that it was going to be THE piece that I grabbed out of all the new fall offerings, so I was really bummed out. On a positive note, I have similar shades to several colors in the palette, so it’s probably for the best (though it doesn’t necessarily make me feel tons better!). Additionally, I was also considering getting the lipgloss in Ensorcelante, but when I swatched it I was again, disappointed – I felt more ‘meh’ than anything!! Sadness…I even have enough optimum points to get a wee bit of free stuff so I was really banking on this being a nice low-cost treat for the season.
Ah well, can’t win ’em all. And anyway, the rest of these items? Still TOTALLY crushing on. The MAC shadow is 100% love, and I’m certain my new glittering love affair will extend to the Dior mono shadow as well. Truth be told, I think I’m genuinely going to buy every single item on this wish list (with the exception of perhaps the YSL quad…I’ll have to really love it in person to justify that cost) – I think I’m due for a good splurge. I’m feeling a lot less financial pressure right now and while I’m still trying to keep my collection more modest of late and not add to it excessively, I’m less bothered by adding new products that have different textures than I usually opt for – feels like I’m not adding to the repetition but branching out a bit. And like I said, fall is my favorite season!! So I think I’m due to celebrate, just a little bit 😉
What’s on your wish list for the upcoming season!?
How’s that for a title, huh? Yea dudes, I know…let me just say: I have about 3 seconds unaccounted for this month and absolutely no extra brain power for much else other than what’s already on my agenda, so please grant me a pass for the month of May OK? I’ll still be posting – I’ve bought far too many awesome things not to share ’em with you! – but its going to be sporadic and my writing will likely be shoddy…you’ve been warned.
Apparently with the little free time I have I’m making sure I’m maximizing it as much as I can, as I’ve already purchased two of the five items I wanted to get this month, ha. I’m still going to show you the list so you can also see what’s in store upcoming on the blog! Here we go:
1. NARS for Pierre Hardy High Voltage Blush in Boy’s Don’t Cry ($48CAD) – this ‘pink grapefruit’ shade taunted me from the moment I saw the promo ads. I almost had a moment on the weekend where I was just gonna throw reason into the wind and buy it off the NARS website, shipping and all, as I believed it was the only place that was selling it. I resisted and decided that I could do without it – then, lo and behold, when I was at Sephora yesterday just to buy a damn sharpener, there it was. OBVIOUSLY I bought it in about 7 seconds and ran away from the store with glee. Since then I’ve shown it to pretty much everyone I know. I’m too eager to wait till I have a moment to take adequate pictures of it, so I snapped a couple crap ones and I’m wearing it tomorrow, so sorry. I CANNOT WAIT PEOPLE.
2. Clarins Instant Light Natural Lip Perfector in 06 Rosewood Shimmer ($20CAD) – I’ve had a lemming for the creamy, smooth, lovely lip perfectors for about a year now, and recently they came out with a few new shades. This one looks like it might just be the best MLBB I could ask for (also, see evidence of that fact here!). I also absolutely ADORE the smell. This will be mine, and soon!
3. Chanel Le Vernis in Azure ($27CAD) – When I initially heard about Chanel’s colorful summer collection, I was quite excited as it’s normally more austere aesthetic doesn’t always jazz me and my more deeper pigmented skin. However, once I saw what was released, I was a bit ‘meh’ and only happened to check it out in person on a whim when I was at Mills late last week. None of it hooked me – I found the pencils to look terrible on my skintone, and paying through the nose for a colored mascara I’ll rarely wear doesn’t sound like a good use of my money AT ALL – but I really wanted to go home with something, so I picked up Azure. I don’t own many metallic polishes, let alone a metallic teal, and I was nervous this would come back to kick me in the ass, but turns out, Azure is AWESOME. Somehow this eye-catching shade is really sophisticated and elegant despite being an ‘unusual’ color. Also, it wore exceptionally well – due to my crazy-busy schedule, I’ve actually worn it for 5 days straight (this is unheard of for the gal that changes her polish every 3 days), and it’s only got minor chipping and mainly on my dominant hand. LOVE IT.
4. NARS Larger Than Life Eye Liner in Barrow Street ($28CAD) – While being swayed by the siren call of Boy’s Don’t Cry, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the summer collection had come out in full at NARS finally. I have had the gorgeous mint green liner on my radar for a while, and was tempted to get it as well – but resisted because, well…I was already spending $48 on a blush, whaddya want from me!? However, it appears not to be limited edition (hopefully) so I may go back at a later date and pick this up. So fun for the waterline!
Last on the list is not a specific product, but a color that I WANT and am not sure where to find. Check out Hannah Simone in a fabulous cool pink lipstick that needs to be in my life:
This kind of shade can be challenging for me as it can’t run too greyish or else it looks horrendous on my skintone. I even would be OK if it went slightly more violet to make it a bit bolder – I thought I found it in MAC’s Show Orchid but now I’m not so sure. Anyone have any suggestions!?!
So, as you can see, I’m making great progress with my wishlist already, which is promising because what generally happens is I make a list and then buy things that aren’t on it LOL. I’m trying to stick to only making purchases that are on the damn list, because why else am I making them then? Certainly not because I’m bored with nothing to do! *tries to hide under the bed from everyone *
What’s on your wishlist this month?
I feel like I’ve been waiting on Sephora’s semi-annual VIB sale for months…it’s been a good way to keep my spending in check, because I keep telling myself to hold out until the sale, but DAMN – can it get here already!? I’ve got a little cash socked away in a drawer (literally…well, maybe not in a sock, but definitely tucked away in a drawer!) and I’ve written and re-written my shopping list for the event. I’ve been hovering at about 4 items for awhile, but I’m getting antsy and the list is slowly creeping up to 6-7 this week, as I’m thinking I should just stock up on all the items I know I’m going to buy there in the next couple months…urk! We’ll see how it all pans out. In any case, the items below I am definitely (I think…maybe…probably) picking up whenever the heck the sale starts:
1. Comptoir Sud Pacifique’s Vanille Coco mini atomizer $24CAD – The last time I was by the store I spritzed a bit of this on, and god knows I’m a sucker for vanilla and coconut-type scents! I’m trying to break into the more ‘adult’ fragrances (especially since I’ve been reading Denyse Beaulieu’s The Perfume Lover and becoming terribly entranced by the whole history of fragrance), but this will be my guilty pleasure in the meantime. At $24 for a small spray, I don’t feel too bad!
2. NARS Light-Reflecting Pressed Setting Powder $39CAD – For ages I thought I was going to go for one of the new Hourglass Ambient powders, but I realized I need a real setting powder that will control shine more than I need extra radiance. The last powder I bought was in 2010 (I KNOW…IT’S CRAZY), and it was also NARS – the loose powder, which is why I am going for the pressed because JEEZ GUYS I just want something new already! Loose powder is terribly economical but oh so friggin’ boring for someone who likes change!
3. BITE Beauty High Pigment Matte Lip Pencil in Quince $28CAD – I mentioned that this was a contender for my upcoming fuchsia lip purchase, and I’m fairly certain this is what I’m going with. It is a beautifully saturated color and exactly the shade I have been looking for. The only way I might get swayed from buying it is if one of the YSL Rouge Volupte Shine’s catch my eye…which could happen. We shall see!
4. Boscia Tsubaki Beauty Oil $55CAD – I just added this to my list tonight while browsing through the online site for facial oils. The Tarte Pure Maracuja Oil I have is still going strong (a whopping four+ months later! Color me impressed), but I know my fickle self will want to try something new when the time comes. This is the same price, has wonderful ingredients with nothing to aggravate my skin, and it’s something new so hey – it fits the bill quite nicely.
5. Tarte BB Tinted Treatment 12-hr Primer SPF30 $41CAD – I’m on the fence about this one; it’s been getting great reviews and I took a sample home a few weeks ago to try, but it’s really too dark for my skintone to wear it right now so I don’t have an idea of how it works for me yet. I think I’m going to grab a sample of the next lightest shade and play around with them a bit to see how it fares.
So that’s what I’ve got on the brain and the items that *should* come home with me sometime this month. However, I am tempted to also grab the burgundy YSL mascara and the Hourglass lippie I noted last month and still haven’t picked up….yikes. I’m going to try my best to keep it together and keep it under control. Wish me luck!
Do you have a wish list ready for the VIB sale?
Even though in the past month I managed to score an ABUNDANCE of products, I am, afterall, a beauty-focused gal, and thus I am never entirely satisfied. Here I bring you a mere sampling of other products I have a serious hankering for:
1. NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer $30CAD – my ears always perk up when I hear about a new concealer, particularly when they are supposed to be fabulous for dark circles. I have four concealers in rotation right now, all about half-gone, so I am dedicated myself to finishing two before I allow myself to pick up one of these (I’m thinking in either shades Biscuit or Caramel) – the push is ON!
2. MAC #217 / Hakuhodo G5523BkSL Brushes $27.50CAD and $26US, respectively – Even though I’ve been drooling over the Hakuhodo brushes for ages now, I realized the other day that it’s might be silly and non-economical of me to order brushes online when I could get similarly priced options here at home. I think what makes the most sense is to try the MAC version first while funds are tight – then when I can splurge a bit more, order a few Hakuhodo ones – and I’ll likely appreciate them more because I’ll have something to compare them to. Right!?
3. Hourglass Femme Rouge Velvet Creme Lipstick in Raven $35CAD – After noticing that I did not own an orange-red lipstick, I went browsing through Sephora at all the possible contenders. Of course, once I saw that Hourglass had a stunning, creamy orange-red, it was the clear winner! Also loving the option of the refill cartridge, which also means I could technically fill it with another shade if I actually finished Raven. Note: while looking up swatches online, I came across this post on Makeup 4 All – seems they used a mix of Raven and Icon at the La Perla Fall 2013 shows! And they used the Exhibition Duo as well. I’m already ahead of the curve 😀
4. YSL Mascara Volume Effet Faux Cils in 5 Burgundy $36CAD – First I saw this tutorial on Lisa Eldridge and got it in my head that a fabulous bright plum mascara is something I NEED to own. Then while I was browsing around Sephora last week, I noticed this mascara by YSL, and after dabbing it on my hand, I was totally convinced. I’m hoping it shows up on my darker lashes.
5. Marcelle Essentials Clay Mask $14.50CAD – I was looking up masques on Makeup Alley and this one came up, although the picture is different (though ingredients listed are the same). It got super-high marks so I’m going to check it out, as my Queen Helene clay masque is finally finished (and should be turfed anyway – it’ s 5 years old!).
I originally had Alterna’s Bamboo Smooth Kendi Dry Oil on the list as well, but I ran out of my current hair oil sample so I picked this up this week (at which time I also got the very last sample of the NUDE skincare oil!!! Wooooooooooooooooo!!!). Of course I have a huge huge huge ongoing wishlist, but these are just a few of the items at the top of my list this month (or, err…week).
What are you lemming lately!?
Though it is very much still winter here in Atlantic Canada – 15-20cms of snow was dumped on Saturday night/Sunday morning – I’m starting to think about all the pretty spring collections coming out, and what shades and products I’d like to pick up for the oncoming season. I’m pretty much ‘meh’ with respect to most of the collections that have come out, but as far as the color palette goes – girly pinks, black liner worn a multitude of ways, emerald green everything – it’ll be easy enough to adapt using either products I already own, or picking up a couple extras that are already existing within different brands. As my wishlist continues to grow to epic proportions, I’m slowly conquering my lemmings by choosing five products per season that fit the bill (as well as fit my goal of filling any gaps). Here’s what’s on the list this month!:
1. Bobbi Brown Long Wear Cream Shadow Stick in Sand Dune $33CAD – Lately I’ve been leaning toward wearing bold lips or cheeks and keeping my eyes quite neutral. I’m looking for a natural-looking shadow that will melt into my skin but brighten the eye area (sans shimmer) and even it out. From looking at swatches of this shade, this one fits the bill perfectly!
2. butter London Jasper $17CAD – I really want to own a pretty yellow polish for spring, but the color can be a tricky one and tends to be streaky. I’ve heard alternate views on this shade, but there’s no denying it’s absolutely spring in a bottle!
3. Giorgio Armani Waterproof Eye Pencil in 1 Granite Black $28 (via Neiman Marcus) – I’ve already mentioned that I’m picking this up soon, as my black liners are at the very nubs – and I want to replace them with what’s supposed to be a fabulous product!
4. YSL Rouge Volupte lipstick in #25 Soft Beige $39CAD – Lacking from my personal stash is a natural nude pink lippie. I tried on another shade of the Rouge Volupte a couple weeks back and was totally hooked by the creamy, gorgeous texture. Not so much a fan of the price, but it’ll be a shade I’ll wear often.
5. Becca Mineral Blush in Sweet Pea $38CAD / MAC Sheertone Shimmer in Blushbaby $24CAD – After going through my blush collection last month, I realized I also lack a basic neutral blush shade (seems I don’t like neutrals, huh). I wont’ be able to try on the Becca color in person, so I’m tempted to play it safe with MAC – but I’ve been meaning to try Becca as a brand for a while. We’ll see which one takes the honours!
What’s on your wishlist these days?
It’s that time again! My lemmings of the month. I seem to be moving away from listing a ton of makeup products, which is probably a tad boring, though I’m sure that’ll change once the Fall collections have all come out (and I actually want to think *Fall* – right now I’m kinda loving Summer, thankyouverymuch!). I do have a number of makeup items on my wishlist, but many of them are part of my ’12 New Beauty Brands’ list for the year, and I want to keep those a bit of a secret to surprise you with as I pick them up 🙂 And I mean, who am I kidding? My ~actual~ wishlist is ENORMOUS, but we would be here all day with that, so I’m just giving you the pared down and more relevant version of products I’m actually going to buy in the near future.
And now – go forth and enjoy! (Oh yea, and see how I’m coming up in the world with my pic below? So snazzy LOL)
1) John Masters Organics Bare Unscented Body Lotion $19CAD
This 100 percent fragrance-free body lotion is loaded with natural oils and glycerin to majorly hydrate, and contains an awesome fusion of coconut oil (heals and repairs, retains moisture, protects), sea kelp (hydrates, softens, and smoothes), milk thistle (antioxidant), vanilla (heals and soothes), comfrey (anti-inflammatory and promotes cell regrowth) and white tea extract (anti-bacterial). The whole ingredient list is majorly impressive with no funky biz (aka lanolin, mineral oil, parabens, etc).
2) L’Occitane Aromachologie Repairing Shampoo $22CAD
A blend of 5 essential oils plus wheat proteins help repair, strengthen, regenerate, and soften dry/damaged hair. The online reviews are overall very favorable, and I’m in the market for a new shampoo, so I’m all for it!
3) MD Formulations Moisture Defense Antioxidant Hydrating Gel $47.60CAD
This Beautypedia-approved moisturizer is a light, oil-free, pH-balanced gel that’s ideal for hydrating oily skin, and contains antioxidants as a bonus. I checked the ingredient list and it’s quite small and free of scary-to-me stuff (though it does contain methylparaben) and notes sodium hyaluronate as the second ingredient after water. Nice!
4) Hourglass Calligraphy Liquid Eye Liner in Indigo $37CAD
I was going to buy Urban Decay Waterproof Liquid Liner in Sabbath, also navy, but the issues I’m having with my Perversion liner are irritating the heck outta me (the ‘filter’ or whatever keeps coming out) – plus, this has more product: 0.08oz as opposed to 0.058, though it is more expensive. It’s Hourglass, c’mon – it’s gotta be fabulous.
5) Essie Topless and Barefoot / OPI Samoan Sand / Chanel Inattendu
I’m really looking to beef up my nude collection, as all these brights and neons are terribly hard to pair together! I can’t get a good idea from swatches online to know if T&B is very similar to Jazz (which I already own), and I can’t find it in stores. I’m also nervous that SS is too yellowed, like Zoya’s Cho, which we all know how I felt about. And I have no clue if I can even purchase Inattendu anymore – will have to investigate. Anyone have any suggestions on their fave nude shade that would work with my skintone?
Such reasonable things to purchase, huh? I’m near the very end of my current antioxidant serum (Clinique’s Repairwear Laser Focus), and since I rarely if ever actually spend my own money on Clinique (and also since I rarely buy the same product twice), I figured it was time to try something new. As for the body lotion, yes, I could stick with my $6 a tube knockoff Aveeno lotion, but goshDARN if it isn’t so freakin’ boring!!! I would love to have a more luxurious option that also doesn’t make my skin crazy, so here’s hoping! The Hourglass liquid liner I threw in there for a bit of fun, though I have been lusting after it for a while. I don’t *need* a navy blue liner, but I’m so frustrated with my black UD one, and the only other options I have in liquid are either burgundy (Illamasqua’s Havoc, which is SPECTACULAR but not always dark enough), bright aqua, or sparkly gunmetal. Time for another ‘classic’ methinks.
So! What’s on your wishlist lately? Any particular product you’ve tried recently that knocks your socks off?